Berth Extension

TPS container terminal of Valparaiso informs about the implemented projects, the ones in process and all the challenges to maintain competitiveness.

The global port industry has experienced important changes in recent years, generating, in turn, adjustments by the main actors involved in the business, especially when it has to do with port investments to inject more competition into the various terminals.

During 2012 TPS implemented the electronic temperature document, a new online tool for the exchange of information, maintenance and management of reefer cargo, with which carriers can virtually validate information provided by shippers and agents who, in turn, can handle refrigerated cargo without requiring their physical presence at the port or at the offices of shipping agencies. This is providing a more fluid reefer cargo process, optimizing the logistic chain and adding value to the service it provides to its customers, through process automation and improved management control. This project supports our initiative Zero Paper and environmental care.

Following this line, TPS is the first container terminal in Chile that is officially operating with the electronic manifest for marine cargo, project which is led by the National Customs Service and seeks to modernize foreign trade document processes, storing the information in databases and bringing significant benefits, such as fluency procedures, reducing errors caused by manually typing and less use of paper, in order to be friendly to the environment.

According to the estimations, Chile has a share of about 10% of the container market in Latin America (considering the ports of Mexico, Central America and South America). If we consider only the countries of the west coast of South America, Chile's participation rises significantly, reaching 50% of the load.

In 2003, 65% of the cargo was mobilized in containers and the remaining 35% as general cargo. By 2012, the containerization of cargo reached 84% of the total, which shows the growth and the importance that this type of cargo has had within national ports.

Imagen foto_00000006

Another major change in the industry shows that the world's largest shipping companies prefer to operate with large ships (Post Panamax), which began arriving in the west coast of South America some years ago.

According to Alphaliner, by 2013 it is estimated that 73% of the ships in orderbooks will be Post Panamax, with lengths over than 300 meters, confirming the industry trend to the use of this type of ships. In 2012, 14% of the full container vessels berthed in Terminal Pacífico Sur (TPS) exceeded 290 meters.

In this context, TPS is undergoing an expansion project of berth number 3 to lengthen it by 120 additional meters. This will help TPS to recover a significant wharfage capacity that was lost about two years ago, when container vessels over 300 meters long began to arrive in Valparaiso. This is because under the current conditions, the quay front number 1 cannot handle two vessels of this type simultaneously. By extending the quay front from 620 to 740 meters, the added berth capacity will allow to dock two Post Panamax ships at the same time.

In addition to extending the berth number 3, TPS will repave and seismically strenghten berths 4 and 5, with the purpose of improve operating conditions and quality offered to reefer, general cargo and passengers cruise vessel. The company will also acquire three new last generation Post Panamax cranes, in order to offer an optimal and better service to new full container ships that will berth in Valparaiso.